New Tail!

We received approval from the SCTA for our rather substantial number plates!  We only have to put a 1 inch radius corner on them, which is still a pretty considerable amount of work.

The newest iteration of the tail section is out of the mold (the mold was made here using the original tail. We may eventually cast one in carbon for the drag strip!) and then the process of making the “aero hump” begins.  Like Chief Dan George in “Outlaw Josey Wales”, you have to get every advantage you can.  Steve Berg and Jacki are making excellent progress.

 

2014_9_12_newtailsideprogress_mold2014_9_12_newtailsideprogress_outmold
2014_9_12_newtailsideprogress

2014_9_12_newtail 2014_9_12_newtailside2

So back in the back again to make some more parts and start the verification of the inventory listings (three pages, single-spaced!).

September 15, 2014

Hello from Madness Central!

First off I want to welcome our newest sponsor Bill, from Duccutters.com.  This is a site devoted to Italian customized motorcycles.  We have been in contact over the years and he shows things done that take real courage and imagination. Check this site out and enjoy!  I have offered to personally deliver his shirt to Bonneville, but I guess we will have to wait and see if he can make it.  Once again, THANK YOU and check his website out!

Now we have decided to change the tail section, which means making a new part and then complexly reworking it.  This is in the interest of reducing the low pressure area behind Nick on the fueler.  He felt the upward effect of the vacuum developed behind him the last time out at Bonneville.  This wasn’t noticed at the dragstrip because the acceleration was greater and the duration at 160mph and above was so short.  Bonneville tends to a steady-state condition as the acceleration decreases and as such, subtle gains and losses are realized.  On the long bike deciding everything is happy enough for a full pull takes six to twelve seconds, but at the speed necessary to ascertain that (190 to 198mph) you have covered ¾ of a mile.  The fueler, while not at that speed, is just as, if not even more sensitive to aero drag factors.  Every little bit helps.   Reducing the vacuum behind the rider closes up the pocket and also reduces the lift in the rear, possibly requiring less ballast weight, making the acceleration more effective.  Since the fuse on this combination is so far about 2 ¼ miles, getting the job done sooner is a big help in hopefully reducing the piston issues we caused before.

Out to the warehouse we went and grabbed the crashed up tail off a Suzuki roadracer…. then we set to work.

Cutting off the base, we were left with the back hump remaining that we glued on to our current fiberglass tail. To make a smoother airflow, we decided to extend the hump to the very back of the tail using a cardboard template and yet more fiberglass.  This made for some entertaining times grinding the glass (can you say itchy?) and adding more yet again.

The progression:

2014_9_27_higherback 2014_9_27_newbackonit 2014_9_27_glassinseatarea
Frankensteining our new fiberglass tail with the Suzuki tail.

 

 

 

Smooth simple shapes for the template, lay over it with several layers of fiberglass.
2014_9_27_newcardboard
 2014_9_27_newback2

Sanding (lots of sanding…) and finally a durable epoxy primer so we can test the shape before investing too much into fancy paintwork.

2014_9_27_sanding2014_9_27_seatprimer

 

The new seat foam and the plug for reaching in to secure the tail – Seat by Travis Bowen
2014_9_27_seatfoam
  2014_9_27_seatwithplug

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s